Friday, November 18, 2011

Reading Great Novels: A Submission from an ELI Counselor

Several years ago I decided I wanted to read some truly thought-provoking novels.  I was tired of reading fluffy books in my leisure time.  I know, I know; who has time for leisurely reading – with so much reading required for your ELI courses?!?  But if you’d like to explore the world’s cultures, and if you can manage to squeeze a few minutes out of each day’s schedule, here are some books I’d highly recommend (in alphabetical order by author’s last name).  By the way, it took me a few years to read all of these great books, but the effort was well worth the time invested!
Richard Adams ~ Watership Down
Alex Haley ~ Roots: Roots: The Saga of an American Family
Ernest Hemingway ~ The Old Man and the Sea
Khaled Husseini ~ The Kite Runner
John Irving ~ A Prayer for Owen Meany
C.S. Lewis ~ The Chronicles of Narnia
James Michener  ~ Alaska and Centennial and Chesapeake
John Steinbeck ~ Of Mice and Men
Harriet Beecher Stowe ~ Uncle Tom’s Cabin
Leo Tolstoy ~ War and Peace
Mark Twain ~ The Adventures of Tom Sawyer and The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn

No comments:

Post a Comment