Whether you're new to ELI or a seasoned distance learner, the following tips will promote a successful semester:
· Get started right away! Log into your course site as soon as the class begins and read the syllabus carefully. Pay special attention to deadlines for submitting your work and course policies regarding late work, withdrawals, and incompletes.
· Remember that every ELI course is different, just as every course on campus is different. Even if you have taken lots of ELI courses before, you can't assume that you know how your new course(s) work. Read all the course policies carefully!
· Ask your professor questions whenever you have them--all our faculty are here to help you do your best!
· Don't procrastinate! Whether your courses have regular weekly assignment deadlines or not, make yourself a weekly schedule for your studies and stick to it. Getting behind on work and having trouble catching up is the biggest challenge ELI students face. Be sure to visit Student Lingo for online workshops addressing procrastination, planning and time management.
· If you are having trouble with your course material, try out our free online tutoring for ELI students, Smarthinking! We also recommend ELI webinars as a helpful resource.
Don't forget ELI staff is here to help you as well! If you have technical problems, can't find the materials you need for your course, or have any question at all, please contact your ELI Success Coach so we can help you achieve your academic goals!
Are you a returning ELI student? What tips can you recommend to help new ELI students succeed in their courses?