• Historic Alexandria Candelit Tours – December 10th -11 (Tour times vary)This festive candlelight tour visits Carlyle House Historic Park, Gadsby's Tavern Museum, Lee-Fendall House and Stabler-Leadbeater Apothecary Museum. Enjoy seasonal decorations, entertainment and hot cider. Tickets are: $20; $15 for seniors ages 65 and older; $5 for children ages 6-17. Pre-sale discounts are available if tickets are purchased before December 1. Reservations are recommended. Telephone: 703-746-4242.
• Mount Vernon by Candlelight - December 11 and 17 - 18, 2011Tour the home of George and Martha Washington by candlelight and enjoy festive refreshments around a blazing campfire on the grounds. Tickets go on sale November 1st.
• Christmas Tour of Washington and Old Town Alexandria Group Tours - Reservations RequiredExperience the holiday magic of Old Town Alexandria's colonial holiday decorations and several magnificent landmarks in the nation's capital on this holiday tour offered to groups, led by an experienced and entertaining guide. Telephone 703-519-1749.
• Christmas in Camp Open House at Fort Ward - December 10, 2011 - Noon to 4 p.m. Weather Permitting, this holiday reenactment interprets how soldiers observed Christmas during the Civil War, including a Victorian tree and decorations, period music, soldier reenactors, soldier-guided tours, light refreshments and more. Suggested donation - $2 Adults and $1 Children. The Fort Ward Museum and Historic Site is at 4301 W. Braddock Road in Alexandria, Virginia. Telephone 703-746-4848.
More information on the above holiday events in the Northern Virginia area can be found here.
A variety of locations all around the Virginia area are offering a variety of musical events and concerts, be in choral singers or orchestral. Check out this site for more details.
• The Reston Town Center area is also offering some holiday events and activities that include music and dance concerts, an open ice skating rink and carriage rides. A walk on Market Street can also be an invigorating way to celebrate the winter season!
• Several holiday events are taking place in the Washington DC area, including ice castle visits, candlelight tours, holiday concerts and Christmas Lights displays. Visit this link for the top 10 attractions in Washington, DC.