National Career Development Month and particularly today, National Career Development Day, is a great time to take a moment to reflect upon your career development. A good starting point is taking time to review the basic steps in the career development process. The following is an overview of the steps:
1. Understanding Self
During this step individuals focus on identifying their interests, personality, skills, and values.
2. Exploring Careers
During this step individuals focus on learning more about careers.
3. Making Decisions
During this step individuals evaluate their options to develop a personalized plan.
4. Finding Employment (and Gaining Practical Experience)
During this step individuals focus on getting a job, obtaining an internship, or exploring options for gaining practical experience.
Learn more about each step and identify resources to assist you by visiting NOVA’s Career Services website.
Continue to celebrate with ELI this month by –
· Participating in special webinars to help you focus on your own career development
· Following us on Twitter to receive a daily inspirational quote
· Joining us on Facebook to participate in a weekly discussion and take a moment to post an entry that answers the question “What does success look like to you?”
· Visiting the Virtual Student Union to learn about a special career resource that will be highlighted each week.
· Reading ELIife for tips and to stay connected.