Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Choosing a Career using the VA Wizard

I started my VCCS education years ago; back then, I had a very clear idea of what I wanted to do.  I wanted to become a dental hygienist, I was accepted into a dental hygiene program, but had to turn it down due to a family emergency.
Since then, my college career has been a nightmare; between changing schools, relocating, and curriculum changes, it has not been an easy path.  I am now in dire need of graduating because “my brain is fried”.
As a result of changing my major, I was required to enroll in SDV 100; a course geared towards helping students acclimate to the college environment.  In SDV 100, one of my assignments was to use the VA Wizard.  The VA Wizard is an application designed to help students find a career.  I completed the assessment and, in the end, I was not too impressed by feedback that I received.  According to the assessment I should possibly consider a career in interior design.  This is a skillset I enjoy however, I am choosing to defy the Wizard and go after a career in nursing.  Specifically, I want to become a scrub nurse who assists surgeons prior to surgery.  Being a mother, I am pursuing a career in the medical industry with hopes of making a decent living after graduating from college.
The VA Wizard is an interesting tool that can give someone ideas if they are clueless about what career path to pursue.  The Wizard is good at giving suggested career fields based on specific interests and areas of scholastic excellence.  In my case, the Virginia Wizard didn’t pinpoint my career of choice. However, I would recommend it to all students to see what recommendations it might have for you.

Danita Wiggins-Bader
NOVA Student

No comments:

Post a Comment