• Go for walk. Simple as it sounds, the very act of getting your muscles moving and heart pumping can rejuvenate your mind, body and spirit. If you prefer, get some light hand weights or jog in place! Exercise, even if just for 10 minutes, can give you a natural energy boost to attack that assignment with a fresh perspective.
• Stretch. Acquire a set of stretching exercises to alleviate stiff joints and muscles. Holding onto a piece of furniture or the wall, try pushing your foot against your hand while using your other leg for balance to stretch your quadricep muscles. Another good one for the upper body is to stretch your arm across your chest, while holding it with the opposite hand to; you can do this while sitting or standing. Clasping your hands behind your back with your chest to the ceiling is another great one to release tension in your shoulder blades. Note: if you do not stretch on a regular basis, start gently with these exercises or if you belong to a gym, consult with a trainer there.
• Incorporate some red in your routine. Research shows that staring at something with a red hue can give you an energy boost when you are in dire need for one; it can also recharge your muscles, believe it or not! Pictures of red flowers or keeping red folders and pens for your study supplies is a good choice.
• Visit a favorite you tube site for a dose of laughter (don’t spend too long though to prevent losing focus!) can stimulate the heart and blood pressure, in a good way, to help you press on and finish that lingering assignment.
• Yawn without hesitation! It is a way to relax the brain while rejuvenating your body at the same time.
• Grab a healthy snack that contains added protein as in the choices below:
- Apple or banana with peanut or almond butter
- Crackers or veggies with hummusTrail mix (make sure it contains nuts and seeds for protein)
- Plain yogurt with fresh fruit or granola mixed in
So, whenever you get that brain fog and fatigue coming on from studying for long periods, draw on one of the above re-charge strategies and be sure to choose healthy for your food choices! Avoid too much sugar that can lead to a post sugar crash and add extra protein to your snacks and meals for lasting energy.
For more information on this topic, visit this link.